Thursday 7 February 2008

Carnaval of Nice


Each year, there is the carnival of Nice in February which lasts for 2 weeks.

People dress up in very funny costumes during this festival period.

Each year there's a different theme, I remember last year it was for the rugby world cup.

There are lots of different floats and parades in the street and many people watch them.

People are always smiling and they throw confetti.

During the week there is a special day : the battle of flowers. People who are in floats throw lots of different kinds of flowers.


Last year I worked in the carnival and I was a Hakka dancer (the famous dance of the all blacks) , I was dressed in yellow, my face was painted yellow too, with a blue flower around one eye and a red lipstick, I was a little bit ridiculous and I danced in front of about a thousand people.


During this period we have "mardi gras" like the English "shrove tuesday", we cook crepes for all the family it looks like pancakes and you put what you want on them.


I'm a little bit disappoincted not be here for the Carnival this year because the city of Nice has had lots of renovations, and now we have the tram. Nice has become a great place and next year I will see the carnival in this "new city".




No comments: